[Samba] Trouble adding new users with samba 3.0

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu
Sat Oct 4 20:51:48 GMT 2003

Mark írta:
| | An update, I just uninstalled samba 3.0 and reinstalled 2.2.8. I can
| | add users now with no problems...using the exact same parameters. I
| | know my way around samba pretty good, however I feel that maybe I am
| | missing something here..
| |
| |
| | Regards,
| | Mark
| | Samba Setup Guide: www.samba.netfirms.com
| | My gpg public key: www.samba.netfirms.com/gnupg/gpg_public.asc
| |
| |
| |
| | Mandrake 9.1, Samba 3.0 (used rpm's)
| |
| | I just upgraded one of my pc's to samba 3.0 today. The issue is that
| | all existing users before the upgrade can log onto the samba pdc with
| | no problems. However any new users that I add cannot log on. I thought
|
| | that maybe something had gone wrong so I uninstalled 3.0 and any
| | remnants of 2.2.8 and did a clean install of samba 3.0. After
| | installing, the issue remains. I have tried various different (new)
| | users and passwords and still  the logons will not work. The logs here
|
| | show "FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD". But the passwords
| | are correct....
| |
| | <snip>
| |
| If you would attach the relevant parts of your smb.conf, maybe sombody
| would have an idea ;-)
|
| Best Regards
|
| Geza Gemes

Here it is, pertinent parts......It has not changed in a year and works
fine with 2.2.8
[global]
	workgroup = HOME
	netbios name = GREPLINUX
	interfaces = eth0 192.168.0.203
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	time server = Yes
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 65
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes

[netlogon]
	comment = Network Logon Service
	path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
	guest ok = yes
	writable = no

Regards,
Mark
Samba Setup Guide: www.samba.netfirms.com
My gpg public key: www.samba.netfirms.com/gnupg/gpg_public.asc

IMHO your biggest problem with samba3 is the fact, that you aren't
specifying a passdb backend. I suppose (from your smb.conf) that you
where using the smbpasswd backend, so for samba3 you would need
passdb backend = smbpasswd, guest
in your smb.conf.
But I would suggest, that after experimenting, to move to tdbsam, or
ldapsam backends, because smbpasswd is considered to be deprecated.

Good Luck!

Geza Gemes