[Samba] Failure to Change Machine Account Password

Sean Elble elbles at sessys.com
Sat Oct 4 01:07:55 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I've searched on this on marc.theaimsgroup.com, and was unable to find
anything conclusive. I am getting the following error message on the Windows
2000 workstations here (the only kind I have, hehe), and am wondering why.

Changing machine account password for account DHCP-12$ failed with the
following error:
The stub received bad data.

One, why is Windows 2000 trying to change the machine account password, and
why is it failing? I have setup Samba so that users can change their
passwords from Windows (and yes, it works, syncing passwords with both UNIX
and the smbpasswd databases). If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear
them. BTW, Samba 3.0 on Red Hat 7.3, Windows 2000 SP4 client.

-Sean Elble