[Samba] SAMBA and the Archive Bit

Andrew Butler ButlerAndrew at cel.ie
Fri Oct 3 12:28:19 GMT 2003

Hello All,

Touching up a file is supposed to switch on the Archive bit. However, I can
only get this to happen if the client doing the editing is also the owner.
This is fine for owner access in the HOME directories, but is useless when a
file is modified by any member of a group. The impact is that my incremental
backup only backs up a group rwx file when it is modified by the owner. This
is a major drawback. BTW, the archive bit does get switched on if I force
user to be root, but for security reasons I don't want to do this.

I have spent a long time trying multiple combinations of permission
settings. Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

Thanks, Andrew Butler.

[global]
        workgroup = XYX
        netbios name = XYZ001
        server string = Samba 2.2.7a on Red Hat Linux 8.0
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = *
        wins server = 192.0.2.11
        winbind uid = 5000-6000
        winbind gid = 5000-6000
        template homedir = /home/%U
        winbind separator = +
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        guest account =
        create mask = 0770
        force create mode = 0770
        directory mask = 0770
        force directory mode = 0770

[homes]
        comment = Your Home Directory
        force group = 5003
        read only = No
        inherit permissions = Yes
        profile acls = Yes
        browseable = No
        dos filemode = Yes
        dos filetimes = Yes
        dos filetime resolution = Yes

[IT]
        path = /usr/shares/IT
        force group = 5003
        read only = No
        inherit permissions = Yes
        dos filemode = Yes
        dos filetimes = Yes
        dos filetime resolution = Yes

not necessarily those of Connaught Electronics Ltd. Information in this