[Samba] Size of locking.tdb?

Alexey Lobanov aal at evidence-cpr.com
Thu Oct 2 08:42:23 GMT 2003

Friends,

I ask you very much to help in the investigation. I could not find any documents stating
that the Samba trivial databases must reside on sync-mounted filesystem in Linux (or any
other OS). And I suspect that this bug (non-coherent modification of locking.tdb) is
widespread, but many systems do not notice it, just because it does not _instantly_ kill
clients.

The question to all of you running Samba on Linux. What is the REAL behavior of your
locking.tdb file at async ext2 partition? Does it decrease in size while normal Samba
operation, after the end of business hours?

Yes, I had seen reports about endless grow of this file. But we investigate other
variants now: either stable maximum size or size decrease upon server "unloading".

Thank you.

Alexey