[Samba] smbmount issues

Bruce Embrey embrey at hood.edu
Wed Oct 1 17:51:34 GMT 2003

Samba List:

I am running samba-client 2.2.7-5.8.0 and am trying to use the smbmount
command to mount a windows share to my RH8.0 Linux box. Here is the command
I have tried using:

smbmount "\\\\server.hood.edu\\share" mntpoint -o username=domain\username
password=mypass

When I do this, I get a failed error message and it prompts me for the password

session request to server.hood.edu failed (Called name not present)
Password:

Using smbmount "\\\\server\\share" mntpoint -o username=domain\username
password=mypass

I get session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

My purpose is to be able to script mounting a windows share to copy some
files to my linux directory so I need to be able to mount and dismount this
share through my script. So far it is not working by feeding the password
on the commandline. When it prompts me for a password if I enter it the
mount is successful.

I have also tried feeding the username and password using
credentials=pass.txt where I have username=bruce and password=mypass on
separate lines but I get the same errors. My windows server uses NT4 domain
authenication for attaching to this share. Has anyone been able to get this
to work or any ideas on how I can fix this?

Bruce Embrey

Bruce Edward Embrey : Linux Systems Manager
Campus Email Admin : UNIX / Linux Administrator
Hood College : embrey at hood.edu : Phone (301)696-392