[Samba] Couldnt create posix account info

M Saqib Ilyas msaqibilyas at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 15:28:25 GMT 2003

Dear all
I set up Samba 3 first official release on Redhat Linux  7.3, configured it(I believe) as per documentation and tried net rpc vampire from an NT4 PDC and the output I got, was that it appeared to be creating UNIX user groups, without any complaints, but when it got down to migrating user accounts, it gave the same error on all user accounts, "Couldnt create posix account for user ..."
I tried searching the archives and the documentation but failed.
Also, on migration, the documentation says that it is strongly recommended that you create Samba3 groups corresponding to the Windows NT user groups first. But I was unable to find documentation on how to create groups in Samba3.
So my first question is can some help me figure out why samba3 couldnt create posix account info? Second, can groups be created in Samba? Or is it a mistake in the docs and it actually means Unix accounts?
Appreciate all help.
Regards
Saqib

Muhammad Saqib Ilyas
Assisant Professor
NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi