[Samba] Upgrade from Samba 2.2.8a to 3.0.0 - Printing problem

Fridrich Strba strba5 at hei.unige.ch
Wed Oct 1 14:39:44 GMT 2003

I upgraded samba from 2.2.8a to 3.0.0 following the chapter of upgrading
from 2.2.x in the samba-howto. I installed RPMS that I built from source
using makerpms.sh script.

Almost everything works, but the printer connections from W2k SP4
clients. There are two problems that can be related:

1) On the clients, from the clients' APW, I cannot browse the network
printers on Samba 3.0.0 server. I am able to browse a Samba 2.2.8a
server printers, but not Samba 3.0.0. I can connect them specifying
\\server\printer instead of browsing.

2) The printers that are connected in this way do not respect "Printing
Defaults" that I set on the server and different options that are
installed and I specified them, unless I give the "Domain Users" group
the "Manage Printers" privileges. And even then, applications as
OpenOffice.org do not recognize the "Printing Defaults" and use the
options that the driver has by default.

I thing that there is something I did not understand. Can anybody give
me a hint?

My system is RedHat 7.2, printing is LPRng, printers are owned by
"DOMAIN\root", "Domain Admins" group has all rights on the printers and
"Domain Users" have (normally) only "Print".
The clients are W2K SP4 joints in the DOMAIN.
Everything worked very well with Samba 2.2.X

Thanks in advance for your help

Fridrich Strba