[Samba] Re-setting the Archive Bit

Andrew Butler ButlerAndrew at cel.ie
Wed Oct 1 13:46:39 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am using Brighstor to backup my Linux machines using shares at the moment
as I cannot get the agents to work (neither can CA). This would work fine if
the Backup program could re-set the archive bit (Linux file owner execute
setting). The problem is that, when accessing the share from a Windows
machine, I cannot re-set the archive bit under any combination of
permissions, unless the client that is logged onto the share is also the
owner of the file. However, if I "force user" to be root, then I can re-set
the archive bitno problem. So, I say to myself, if I set myself as the
"admin user" for the share then the same should apply, i.e. the admin user
should have root privalages on the share. However, this does not work. If it
did, I would be sorted.

Can anybody tell me why "force user" as root allows me to re-set the archive
bit, but "admin user" does not.

Below is a copy of the smb.conf file with the global and share settings.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew Butler.

        password server = *
        wins server = 192.0.2.11
        winbind uid = 5000-6000
        winbind gid = 5000-6000
        template homedir = /home/%U
        winbind separator = +
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        guest account =
        create mask = 0770
        force create mode = 0770
        directory mask = 0770
        force directory mode = 0770

[IT]
        path = /usr/shares/IT
        admin users = butlerandrew
        force group = 5003
        read only = No
        inherit permissions = Yes
        inherit acls = Yes

not necessarily those of Connaught Electronics Ltd. Information in this