[Samba] Samba 3.0 and LDAP as a PDC

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Wed Oct 1 12:51:31 GMT 2003

Sapan.Ganguly <Sapan.Ganguly at thalesgroup.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I hope this is an easy one, I've read all the howtos but I'm still
> very hazy on how to do this.  What I want to do is replace my NT4 PDC
> with a Samba 3.0 PDC with an LDAP backend.
>
> I've got my OpenLDAP up and running with the basic People, Computers
> and Groups ou's.
> I've put the builtin NT groups in too.
> I have Samba 3.0 functioning as a BDC
>
> The trouble is that the 'net rpc vampire' command isn't working for
> me, probably because I haven't defined the smbldap scripts right in
> smb.conf. I've put all the relavent bits in smbldap_conf.pm. If
> anyone has done this already please may I see a copy of your smb.conf?
>
> 'net rpc samdump' works, I guess the output from that could be used to
> populate the the LDAP, is there a script for that?
>
> I've also tried the smbldap-migrate-accounts.pl script, to import all
> the information from a pwdump of my PDC, this sort of worked but it
> only created posix accounts, is this right?  Also pwdump.exe does not
> seem to dump groups so what are you supposed to use
> smbldap-migrate-groups.pl with?
>
> I think I might be able to work this out if I can just get a look at
> someone else's smb.conf.

Sapan,

I'm looking to do a similar thing, specifically, I want to create a PDC with all user information in LDAP.

I am in a green field situation, ie. I have no exisiting PDC and I am working on a new, non-production server.

I too would be interested in a How-To describing what steps are necessary to get this working, with any gotchas along the way.

I'll write sometihng up describing how I get on...

R.
---