[Samba] problems accessing samba server from Pocket PC with Windows Mobil e 2003

Isenhardt, Torsten TI at topsystem.de
Wed Oct 1 08:57:21 GMT 2003

Hi all,
when accessing a samba server version 2.2.8a from a Pocket PC with Windows
Mobile 2003
you can give a password and tell the Pocket PC to remember it.
But, if you switch off the device or remove the LAN-card the stored password
is lost (or send in a different way as Pocket PC 2002).

Maybe the procedure of sending the stored password has been changed,
because Pocket PC 2002 works fine with samba,
and accessing a W2K works also fine with Windows Mobile 2003...

So, I tried accessing a samba server version 3.0.0 from a Pocket PC with
Windows Mobile
2003, but I always got the error message:

"Cannot find file '\\' (or one of its components).
Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and
that all required libraries are available."

I tried to connect to '\\hostname' or '\\hostname\path' but it is alway
replaced with '\\'.
When I tried '//hostname' or '//hostname/path' the same error message
appears with
'//hostname' or '//hostname/path' instead of '\\'.
With Pocket PC 2002 or W2K a connection to samba server version 3.0.0 is
established
without any problems.

Any ideas how to manage this?

   Torsten