FW: [Samba] MSCHAPv2 microsoft client/linux/Active Directory

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Oct 31 22:38:36 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 07:58, Ron Wahler wrote:

> I don't want to use a VPN to solve this one.

So this is for dial-in only?

> I am really wondering with (samba 3.x) when the linux box become part of
> The AD domain does it get a special privileges?

It's machine trust account gains privileges to validate NTLM (and
MSCHAP/MSCHAPv2) authentication attempts against the DC, as well as any
other rights you grant it.

I have been implementing a system that allows pppd to authenticate
against an NT (and AD) domain controller, using MSCHAP/MSCHAPv2.

It will find a better home sometime, but my working copy is at:

http://hawkerc.net/staff/abartlet/comp3700

It is a patch for pppd, to use Samba 3.0's winbind, and ntlm_auth to
perform this authentication.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org