[Samba] samba-3.0.0 release won't authenticate

Kristis Makris kristis.makris at datasoft.com
Fri Oct 31 19:02:24 GMT 2003

Hello,

This is the 3rd time I'm sending the message.

I've just upgraded from samba3-alpha23 to samba3.0.0 release. I'm
running samba with an LDAP backend and I used the convertSambaAccount
conversion script, and now the latest 3.0.0 ldap schema. The problem I
have is that no Windows user can authenticate against their home
directory, or any other machine. Authentication against the login screen
works, but not to any shares.

I don't understand how this happens all of the sudden, given that
alpha23 had no problems with authentication. Is there anything else I
need to know about rids, SIDS, UID/GID mappings?

Also, when I try to join a Win2k machine to the domain I get the error:

"No mapping between account names and security IDs was done".

Do I need to use an "idmap backend" entry in smb.conf ? I tried that and
still have the same problem. Authentication just doesn't work. Why ? The
smb.conf did not change.

Anybody that had similar problems ? Anybody that has a clue why this
might be happening?