[Samba] pdfs cause laserjet 4000s to hang - any workaround?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Oct 31 17:06:54 GMT 2003

> [Samba] pdfs cause laserjet 4000s to hang - any workaround?
>
>     * To: samba at listsdotsambadotorg
>     * Subject: [Samba] pdfs cause laserjet 4000s to hang - any workaround?
>     * From: "Steve Kersley" <stevedotkersley at kebdotoxdotacdotuk>
>     * Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:03:10 -0000
>
> Before I start, I know this isn't a Samba-related issue but it seems to be a
> widespread enough problem that someone else may have figured out a
> Samba-oriented workaround, or any other solution for that matter.

Hi, Steve,

not that I am sure about a solution. But I know about a similar problem
with HP PS printers, if you use a particular setting of the HP-provided
PPD file (part of the driver, as used f.e. by CUPS, but also by Windows
clients). Since you are asking on the Samba list, I assume your Windows
clients use the PS driver for the PDF files. v(PCL drivers on PDF files
are dead-slow in any case).

The drivers contain a setting called "Scale Patterns".  These should be
set to "Off", because the "On" is very buggy and may crash the printer.

> There seems to be a problem with certain models of HP Laserjet (including,
> but not limited, to the 4000 series and other models from the same era - it
> is apparently fixed in the 4100).  Certain PDF files, when printed, cause
> the printer to crash - although outwardly it appears to be processing the
> job (data light flashing and so on), nothing ever happens until you reset
> the printer and delete the job.  Resending it will cause it to crash again.
>
> I've asked around and it's not just us who suffer - I know of several other
> people with exactly the same problem, and all use different systems - we use
> Samba, another uses Windows Server and yet another just uses peer-to-peer
> with no server at all.  The best help I've found on HP's support site is an
> article saying it happens on Apple Macs and is related to a certain font.

Which font?

Is it a font enumerated in the PPD? (In that case it may help to edit
the PPD and delete that font from the list....)