[Samba] Debian Sarge (testing), Samba 3.0 RC4 and Quickbooks

Doug MacFarlane madmac at vauban.com
Thu Oct 30 19:09:27 GMT 2003

Debian and Samba Teams:

I'm having a really weird problem with Samba 3.0Beta2+RC4 on my Debian
Sarge (testing) system with Quickbooks Pro 2002 multi-user
version.

The version of my question is:  Does anybody know what the proper global,
share, and permissions settings should be to support multi-user Quickbooks
on a Samba share?

The Long Version:

The Quickbooks data-file resides on it's own samba share (quickbooks),
and all the client workstations run Win2K SP4 with Quickbooks Pro 2002.

When we were running Samba 2.2.8, we disabled opportunistic locking on the
quickbooks share and we had no problems (except for a highly intermittent
situation where the Quickbooks agent wouldn't "let go" of the quickbooks
data file eventhough Quickbooks was no longer running as an application).

I upgraded to Samba 3.0Beta2+RC4 accidentally during and apt-get upgrade
where I upgraded over 90 packages and I missed Samba in the list.  All in
all, the upgrade was OK, after I ironed out a few kinks.

We have recently experienced two issues, though, with Quickbooks that were
resolved by a reboot of the system.  I don't like that.  The latter is the
most disturbing.

Clients were unable to start Quickbooks and recieved the error message
that "Quickbooks was unable to create the local image file.  You may lack
permission to create the file, or there may be insufficient space on the
disk."

Well, I watched the activity on the share (ls -l) as they launched
Quickbooks, and I saw a 1024 byte image file (username.QbI) created.  So
they had to have permissions on the share.  And there is 3.5 gb free on
the volume, so disk space isn't an issue.  After rebooting, they started
Quickbooks just fine, and their image file was a bit over 100 KB.

The output of testparm indicates an issue between type II locks and
opportunistic locking:

Invalid combination of parameters for service QuickBooks.  Level II
oplocks can only be set if oplocks are also set.

The global and quickbooks share portions of smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = ORB
        netbios name = gozer
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = true
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam, guest
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        unix password sync = Yes
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000