[Samba] Access problems whit NT4 PDC and samba 3

gili gili giliredbaron at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:11:36 GMT 2003

Hi List,

I installed Samba 3.0.0beta3 on RH 8.
I'm trying to make a shared directory so I can access from M$ machines using
NT users ( from my PDC ).
I got to join the Domain and I can see the users from my domain (in the
Linux), I can even login as one...
I used the RTFM "Samba-HOWTO-Collection" to do this...
But I can't open the shared directory, not from any M$ client (or the PDC)
or the Linux it self (  mount -t smbfs -o username=SRVRS+test%123456
//pstsrv/test /mnt/test)

winbindd is running ( I try whit "-B" and whitout it)...
also nmdb & smbd running...
every time I try to connect to the share I see in the log this:
<snap>
auth/auth_util.c:make_server_info_info3(994)
  make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!
<snap>

google finds 7 issues like this, nun of them are helpful.

My testparm is:
----------------------
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[SHR]"
Processing section "[test]"
Loaded services file OK.
'winbind separator = +' might cause problems with group membership.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = SRVRS
server string = Samba Server
security = DOMAIN
map to guest = Bad User
password server = PDCSRV
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
preferred master = No
local master = No
domain master = No
dns proxy = No
wins server = WINSSRV
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
template homedir = /home/winnt/%D/%U
template shell = /bin/bash
winbind separator = +
winbind cache time = 15

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
browseable = No

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[SHR]
path = /home/winnt/SRVRS/
read only = No
force create mode = 0664
force directory mode = 0777
follow symlinks = No

[test]
path = /test
read only = No

-------------

I can ping PDCSRV and WINSSRV from Linux by name, I can get the user list
from the domain controller, I have the right permeation on the dir (
drwxrwxrwx    2 SRVRS+GiliL SRVRS+IT     4096 Jan  2 11:14 test )...

PS: if I try to run smbmount whit "debug level 10" I get in this:

<snap>
21055: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

At this point any help/good idea can help :-)
Thanks,
Gili