[Samba] print job complete messages

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Oct 30 15:29:54 GMT 2003

> [Samba] print job complete messages
>
>     * To: samba at listsdotsambadotorg
>     * Subject: [Samba] print job complete messages
>     * From: Nick Pietraniec <npietran at campbellcodotcom>
>     * Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:22:19 -0500
>
> I know I've read something about this in the distant past, but i can't seem to
> find any info on it now.  I'm hoping someone knows offhand...
>
> I'm using samba 2.2.8a and cups 1.1.17 to serve printing to some windows 2000
> workstations.  Cups is set up with raw queues and I'm using the windows
> drivers available from HP.  When the clients print from the windows print
> server, they get a winpopup message that tells them when their job is done.
> We don't get this from the samba server.
>
> Does anyone know offhand where/how to integrate a script to send this message
> via winpopup to the clients?
>
> If I can figure it out, I promise to write a howto and stick it up on the web
> somewhere (if there isn't one).  thanks in advance.
>
> -Nick

--> Re-name your "backend(s)" for the printer(s) [see the "device URI" used].
--> create wrapper-script(s) that takes place of original backend(s).
--> let your wrapper-script call the (now re-named) original backend and do
     its job (of sending away the file to the printer)
--> make your wrapper-script check if job is completed (using a variant of "lpstat -W completed -o")
--> make your wrapper-script send the pop-up message to the win user
--> "exit 0" (or else) your wrapper-script.