[Samba] Printer properties and Win2K/XP

Carsten Büchner carsten.buechner at edag.de
Thu Oct 30 14:12:44 GMT 2003

Hello,

I have setup Samba 3.0.0 on RedHat 8.0 with cups (1.1.19) as the underlying
print system. I can upload native (PCL/PS) printer drivers with the Add Printer
Wizard from Windows 2K/XP without problems (as described in Chap. 18 of the
Samba HowTo).

The first connection to these printers is done by a printer admin, who
configured the drivers (duplex, memory, etc.).
When the printer admin connects the printer, he is able to see these settings
in the local printer folder while opening the properties of the printer.

If a "normal" user without admin rights connects to the printer, he only can
use standard settings (eg. he is not able to use duplex printing).

On the other hand, if I install the printer drivers (postscript printer driver
from cups) with "cupsaddsmb" on the linux box, even normal users can use all
capabilities the printer offers.

Unfortunately I have to use PCL drivers for several printers, so that
"cupsaddsmb" will not solve my problem.

Any hints?

Carsten
--
Carsten Buechner
EDAG-Wolfsburg        | Phone:    +49-05361-799181
38444 Wolfsburg       | eMail:    cb3008 at edag.de