[Samba] samba 3.0 kerberos question

Bob Bartels zibit at andromeda.uc.utoledo.edu
Wed Oct 29 15:08:27 GMT 2003

Axel,

So far this is what I've found out:

Once you modify all the pam.d modules you want to authenticate with by adding
winbind.so ( ssh, login, su, xdm etc.) and gotten the logins to work... The
next problem is uid/gui mappings from the AD->unix. Then comes the mounting
of the users directory from an AD. So far the only solution I've found is to
use
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/

This loads a daemon that gets userid and passwd from winbind. It then uses
that info to bascially use smbmount with the login credentials to mount the
users home dir at login time.

I don't know how to parse the AD to get the actual home directory...At this
point our home dirs are all going to be DFS$ mounts on the windows servers. I
need to parse the Active Directory for this and then pipe that info to smbfs.

Then all my AD users should be able to login to our shared unix server and
find themselves in their unified home directory. I'm sure permission issues
will be the next hurdle.

If anyone has a better solution or a howto in the works as to this type of
scenerio/solution - Windows AD userbase who need to use a unix server for
research and want a unified homedir/account setup.

Thanks

Bob