[Samba] samba 3.0 kerberos question

Axel Suppantschitsch as at suit.at
Wed Oct 29 10:48:53 GMT 2003

Quoting Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>:

> On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 06:19, Bob Bartels wrote:
> > I have successfully joined a machine to a active directory and got a
> kerberos
> > session ticket.
> >
> > Smbclient //server/share$ -k works and allows me access to the dirs on a
> > server in the domain in which I authenticated and received a krb ticket
> from.
> >
> > smbmount //server/share$ /localmount -o krb Should work as well...right??
> NO!
> >
> > I get this error when I try it:
> >
> > Warning: kerberos support will only work for samba servers
> > Anonymous login successful
> > 2348: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
> > SMB connection failed
> >

> > Why is this happening and is there a way to mount a sharepoint after
> getting a
> > kerberos ticket without having the re-authenticate?
>
> Not with smbfs.  It is hoped that the CIFS VFS will get better in this
> regard.

So is there any solution to use smb shares (on Samba AND Windows Servers) as
home directories for linux users with all their consequences? I mean
automatically mount them at boot time, use pam_mkhomedir with them, single
signon during the logon process, etc.

That's what I was expecting from the release of Samba 3.0, centralized home
directories for Windows and Linux users in heterogeneous networks resulting in
dramatically reduced administration efforts and the end of not unnecessary
redundant information... Kerberos is the key to that scenario.

Regards,

Axel Suppantschitsch.

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Axel Suppantschitsch
---