[Samba] Connecting without smbpasswd file

Robin Dyer rdyer at ci.riverside.ca.us
Mon Oct 27 21:04:20 GMT 2003

Hi;

We've recently upgraded from Samba 1.7 to Samba 2.2.8 and we're using Samba
to allow our users to connect to their Unix home directories from their
PC's.  Under 1.7 users were able to connect by mapping a drive from windows
explorer and entering their unix username and password.  Now, when we do
this we get a "Incorrect password or Unknown username" error message. I've
discovered that adding the user to the smbpasswd file solves this problem,
but we'd prefer not to have to create a smbpasswd entry for each of our 200+
users.

Is there anyway to modify the smb.conf file so that an entry in smbpasswd is
not required? (Relevant sections of my smb.conf below). Or is there anyway
to automatically take a Sun Solaris passwd file and reformat it into a
smbpasswd file?

Thanks for your help
-Robin

[global]
  workgroup = samba
  comment = Samba Server
  browseable = Yes
  browse list = Yes
  writeable = false
  public = true
  hide dot files = no
  nis homedir = true
  short preserve case = yes
  preserve case = yes
  auto services = ortho data shapefiles cadme3
  domain master = yes
  local master = yes
  printing = sysv
  printcap name = /usr/local/samba/lib/myprintcap
  load printers = yes
  username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/usermap.txt
  guest account = nobody
  security = share

[homes]
  public = false