[Samba] Problem with user level security using [homes]

pete at more.net pete at more.net
Mon Oct 27 20:22:18 GMT 2003

Hi, I've been trying to setup a "user" only access samba server for my
customers to publish their websites through instead of ftp.  We
provide for many different networks that are in many domains that we
don't own, so it seems the "user" security model is the only thing that
would work for us.

However, I've tried many different combinations of restrictions but I
can't find one that will allow a user only to view their own directory,
but NOT view anyone elses using the [homes] option.  It seems that the
%U and %u doesn't work very will using this option.  Does anyone know
if what I'm trying to do is possible using [homes]?  Here's my config:

[global]
netbios name = MYSERVER
server string = "SAMBA TEST SERVER"
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = user
log level = 10
log file = /var/log/samba.log

[homes]
    browsable = no
    veto files = /*Maildir*/
    delete veto files = no
    writable = yes
    guest ok = no
    only user = yes
    valid users = samba  (*** I'd basically like to use %U ***)
    revalidate = yes

Thanks,

--
Pete Greenwell