[Samba] samba dhcp issue

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Oct 27 18:20:28 GMT 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Daniel Buchanan wrote:

> I have sort of the same problem that other people have reported with
> nmb.  Only in my case i'm running dhcp client.  It appears that the ip
> address is not being assigned quickly enough as this is what nmb
> complains about in the log:no local interfaces.  Once i login to kde and
> su to root in a term session, I can issue the restart command and it
> works very nicely:).  So what,if any, is the workaround for this timing
> issue?

This is a Linux system configuration issue. This is a Samba issue IF you
are using the official Samba-Team RPM. If you are using a vendor supplied
RPM you need to take this up with the vendor.

You need to make sure that Samba is not started up before your networking
has been correctly started.

Your choices are:
	- Contact your Linux Vendor for a fix
_OR_
 	- Fix it yourself

If you want to fix it yourself, you must:

	chkconfig nmb stop

Edit the nmb file in the Init Scripts directory. At the top you will find
the control settings for run levels and dependencies. These need to be
adjusted so that nmb will start at the correct time.

	chkconfig nmb start

You should do the same for smb.

Note some vendors use different names for the control scripts that are run
as part of the SysV InitScripts process.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org