[Samba] help with SMBD!!!

Xiao-Bing Feng f_xb at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 27 01:16:46 GMT 2003

Dear everyone,
    I've been trying to set up Samba server, so that I can access the files
from
a Windows XP laptop.
    The problem is: after executing /etc/init.d/smb start  or
/usr/sbin/service smb start
the status report shows that SMBD is not running (NMBD is running). Later, I
tried
to start SMBD with SWAT, but the problem remains.
    Could anybody give me a hint about how to make SMBD run? I think that's
the
reason why I can't find the LInux Server on my Windows XP laptop.  By the
way,
I'm running RedHat 8.0.  I also removed the older version of Samba-2.- and
installed
a Samba-3.0.0-, but the problem was not resovled.
    Thanks in advance.
     Yours,
                  Xiaobing Feng