[Samba] ldap passwd sync

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Oct 26 04:56:05 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 04:28, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> Having a bit of trouble understanding, or getting, "ldap passwd sync"
> working.
>
> I assume, setting it to Yes, would make it issue a change password
> command to the ldap server, just like pam does, ldappasswd does, or any
> other ldap program.
>
> Right?

Correct.  Except it does it as a 'password set', as we don't have the
old password.

> What does only do?

It was my hope that somebody would create a password set/change plug-in
for OpenLDAP, that knew how to create NT, LM, kerberos and HTTP-Digest
passwords.   Then samba would be told to 'only' execute the password
change, and not handle the NT, LM and last-changed-time itself.

I was even going to write such a module, but ran out of time.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net