[Samba] samba3, cups, and pointprint drivers install

awesome-dave1 at juno.com awesome-dave1 at juno.com
Sat Oct 25 01:09:29 GMT 2003

Hello,
	I've got a redhat9 system with cups and samba3 installed. I want to use
this machine for both local and network printing. On the local side apps
can print just fine, the cups configuration is working great.
Network-side is not the case. I've got a mixture of 2k and 9x clients, so
i'm going to need drivers for both configurations. In smb.conf i've got:
printcap name = cups
printing = cups
load printers = yes
I'm logging on to a 2k box as an administrator, in smbusers i have the 2k
administrator mapped to the root user and an entry for root in smbpasswd.
I can navigate to the machine, i go to the printers share, right click
the printer, go to properties, say no to load the driver, then go to the
advanced tab, new driver, install the driver from the hp rom, that
appears to go fine, however when i click the ok or apply button i get the
message driver settings could not be saved. They're going in
/etc/samba/drivers with permissions of 775, the share is owned by root
and group of ntadmin who has write access to the share, other than that
it is a read only share. I've also explicitly added root to the Linux
ntadmin group. I'm not sure where to debug this, i'm not getting anything
useful in cups.log and my cups is listening on the localhost port 631.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.