[Samba] Should I use winbind in this case

Douglas Phillipson phillipd at oem.doe.gov
Fri Oct 24 20:28:45 GMT 2003

I can't seem to get an answer to this question...

Should I use winbind if my Domain Controller is a samba machine?  Or is
it only useful if my DC is a real MS DC and I have other unix/linux
client machines?

I'm strictly wanting to provide file and domain logon services to
Win2000 machines via a samba DC.  There are no other DC's involved.
After reading the 3.0 HowTo on winbind all I see are references to
winbind helping linux/unix resolve usernames from a Windows DC.  If I'm
using a linux/samba box as the DC I don't need this for my win2000
users, in a domain on the Samba DC, to gain access to shares, right?
Would winbind help me in any other way in trying to use ACL's?

Regards

Doug P