[Samba] samba 2.27 as print server

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Oct 24 18:31:49 GMT 2003

Phillip M. Bryant wrote on Samba-Digest:

> [Samba] samba 2.27 as print server
>
>     * To: <samba at listsdotsambadotorg>
>     * Subject: [Samba] samba 2.27 as print server
>     * From: "Bryant, Phillip -AES" <PhillipdotBryant at ittdotcom>
>     * Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:43:28 -0400
>
> I'm running Samba 2.27

rather 2.2.7....

> on RH8 system.

You should be telling us which print subsystem you have installed. CUPS?
LPRng? Which version?

> I've got samba as the print
> spooler for Windows XP clients and using winbind as the user validation
> against my Win2K DC. Permissions on the spool directory are root root
> with the sticky bit on. Clients can delete their own jobs from the que,
> but the spool directory is not being expunged of print jobs and the last
> job constantly displays in the client que window. I have not been able
> to figure out how to resolve this as occasionally people freak out when
> they see older jobs in the print que and wonder if it is stuck. For
> whatever reason, the print process is unable to remove the print job
> from the spool directory after it is sent to the lpd process for
> printing.

You should also be telling us, which smb.conf settings related to printing
your Samba daemon is using.

Try

    "testparm -v | egrep '(print|lp|enumport|driv|spool|\[|path)'"

and hit "ENTER" twice....

It is well possible that you are using a customized "print command",
and have forgotten to include a ";rm %s" at the end....

Cheers,
Kurt