[Samba] Configure file sharing for Samba...

Matt Beglinger mattb at bentzingerconsulting.com
Fri Oct 24 00:43:22 GMT 2003

Hello,

I'm setting a PDC/fileserver for my company. All the files are being hosted on the Samba PDC server. We have a single company directory that everyone in the company has full access to. Inside the shared company directory is a directory (among many others) that I would only like certain users to be able to view. I know this is possible but here's the problem:

As far as I know, for everyone to share files happily I had to set the "force create mask" option to 0777. Without this option set whenever an employee would save a Word document and another employee were to load that document it would load as "read only". If I manually changed the permission to 777 for that file and that same employee were to reopen the file, it would open just fine without "read only" status. That's where I got the idea of forcing permissions to 777.

So maybe I'm going about this all the wrong way, but to recap:

We have a company directory that we want all employees to be able to view/edit/change whatever. But there is a directory within this shared directory that we would only like a certain list of people to have access to. But I've found it necessary to "force create mask" of 777 because of the "read only" problem.

Anyone have a idea. I'm stumped and haven't had any success yet.

Thanks for all your help!

Matt