[Samba] Samba 3.0 Error Copying File or Folder

Kenneth Slenker slenker at pneudraulics.com
Thu Oct 23 21:14:21 GMT 2003

We have just upgraded Samba 2.2.4-2 to 3.0.0-2 and have found a very
annoying problem.

When using Windoze Explorer to copy a file to a smb share, the first
copy will be fine but if you try to copy this same file over its self,
an error pops up. "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy <file>:
Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path
and filename."

Now, if you wait 10 seconds after this message and try again, the
message box "would you like to overwrite this file" pops up.

The Windoze machines are Win 2k sp2 -4 and samba is on RH7.3.

As a test, we set up a second RH7.3 in the same config to see where the
problem may be. It appears that all is fine under Samba 2.2.4 but as
soon as the rpm -U is done; well BAM and that is all she wrote.

A goggle search came up with 4 results 3 of which point to this:

http://www.faqchest.com/linux/samba-l/smb-02/smb-0206/smb-020629/smb0206
2507_10238.html

I would appreciate any insight in to this if possible.

Thank you.

Kenneth Slenker

Network & Systems Administrator/ Webmaster

PneuDraulics, Inc.

8575 Helms

Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

909.980.5366 x259