[Samba] WINS problem for "road warriors"

Anthony Oganesian tony at electrinet.com
Thu Oct 23 17:36:55 GMT 2003

Hello everybody,

I am new to the list, so please forgive me if I break any rules
in my message. I searched everywhere I could to find the answer and
this is my last resort.

I have the following problem, which is bothering me very much:

I am using Samba as a WINS server and it works fine for everybody,
except for "road warriors" who work with their laptops on
local LAN, but also connect with the same laptop through VPN.

Once a "road warrior" connects through VPN, Samba caches VPN IP
address in wins.dat file and when same laptop is connected back
to our LAN, Samba fails to update it's IP and keeps returning VPN IP.

The only way I can solve this is: stop Samba server, manually delete
VPN IP from wins.dat, start Samba server.

OS: RedHat Linux 7.3
Samba Version: 3.0.0

--
Best regards,