[Samba] smbpasswd problem

Taymour A. El Erian taymour.elerian at tedata.net
Thu Oct 23 14:05:39 GMT 2003

Hi,

~    I am doing a test install for Samba 3.0.0 with ldap sam backend,
when I try to delete a user, I get this output

# smbpasswd -x administrator
ldapsam_delete_entry: Could not delete attributes for
uid=administrator,ou=Users,dc=my-domain,dc=com, error: Object class
violation (object class 'account' requires attribute 'uid')
Failed to delete entry for user administrator.
Failed to modify password entry for user administrator

I am also unable to add any user other than administrator, if I try this

# smbpasswd -D 255  -a user

Trying to load: ldapsam:ldap://localhost/
Attempting to register passdb backend ldapsam
Successfully added passdb backend 'ldapsam'
Attempting to register passdb backend ldapsam_compat
Successfully added passdb backend 'ldapsam_compat'
Attempting to register passdb backend smbpasswd
Successfully added passdb backend 'smbpasswd'
Attempting to register passdb backend tdbsam
Successfully added passdb backend 'tdbsam'
Attempting to register passdb backend guest
Successfully added passdb backend 'guest'
Attempting to find an passdb backend to match ldapsam:ldap://localhost/
(ldapsam)
Found pdb backend ldapsam
Searching for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=ADKILLER))]
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=ADKILLER))]
smbldap_open_connection: ldap://localhost/
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server ldap://localhost/ as
"cn=Manager,dc=my-domain,dc=com"
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
The LDAP server is succesful connected
pdb backend ldapsam:ldap://localhost/ has a valid init
Attempting to find an passdb backend to match guest (guest)
Found pdb backend guest
pdb backend guest has a valid init
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(uid=user)(objectclass=sambaSamAccount))]
smbldap_open: already connected to the LDAP server
ldapsam_getsampwnam: Unable to locate user [user] count=0
Finding user user
Trying _Get_Pwnam(), username as lowercase is user
Trying _Get_Pwnam(), username as uppercase is user
Checking combinations of 0 uppercase letters in USER
Get_Pwnam_internals didn't find user [user]!
Failed initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user user.
Failed to modify password entry for user

Any ideas ?

- --
Taymour A El Erian
System Division Manager