[Samba] User Addition Automatically

Rich Webb rwebb at wmis.net
Thu Oct 23 05:26:02 GMT 2003

---- Original Message -----
From: "David Lucas" <David.Lucas at unh.edu>
To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 11:12 PM
Subject: [Samba] User Addition Automatically

> I would like to be able to have this set up so that when I add a user on
the
> Windows 2000 domain that the user gets added on the Linux box
automatically.
> I'd like the user to also be authenticated off the windows domain.  So if
> user changes their password on windows then everything is synced up.  If
> someone can point me in the direction to get this done that'd be great.
I'm
> not even sure if I can do this.

The thing you are looking for is winbind.  The Samba HOW-TO collection
(http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf) has an entire
section on winbind and how to set it up.

I have been successful in setting this up in a test environment, however I
am having a bit of trouble making it work in a production environment
because my production server has something different going on than my test
server. I can give you my sample config if you want it, however I am just
using what is listed in the howto.

Rich