[Samba] samba, pam, kerberos

Aaron Rosenblum arosenbl at mac.com
Wed Oct 22 22:54:47 GMT 2003

I asked a similar question yesterday, but in my further research found
this software:

http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/ksamba.html

kSamba is used for AFS translation in University of Michigan Campus
sites. It also allows Windows workstations to authenticate and connect
to UNIX SMB (Server Message Block) servers via a kerberos out-of-band
negotiation. This allows users to connect without entering a SMB
password. A version of Samba 2.0.6 modified to support AFS and kerberos
is implemented on the server side.

I am less interested in using an AFS translator, because we now have an
OpenAFS client for windows, but the "allows windows workstations to
authenticate and connect to UNIX SMB server via kerberos" part sounds
nice.  Particularly because I have an MIT KDC to deal with, and don't
desire to leverage AD for Kerberos.  Looks as if this project is pretty
old, anyone familiar with it?