[Samba] More than one wins server - Samba Version 2.2.8a?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Oct 22 19:28:33 GMT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Adam Williams wrote:

> > > Can samba-3.0.* act as primary/secondary wins server?
> > There is a utility called 'wrepld' that does WINS replication but it is
> > not complete and needs further work. Samba-3 does support WINS fail over
> > as a WINS client. nmbd does not do active WINS replication.
>
> Just curious how possible it would be to use an alternate (say LDAP)
> backend for the WINS data, much like what can be done with the SAM?

Yes. It is possible. We had a tdb backend during early Alpha test - works
fine, but we did not have tools to manage static entries and therefore
backed it out. If this is really an URGENT issue then file a bug report.
If this is just a "nice to have" feature let me suggest that we leave it
lie. We have very pressing priorities already. The issues we are working
on have for more reaching and penetrating importance than WINS replication
and fail-over WINS type concerns.

Then again, if you want to code it up and submit to samba-technical then
more power to you!

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra