[Samba] samba3.0/winXP can't see printer spool state

cly at mail.dotcom.fr cly at mail.dotcom.fr
Wed Oct 22 14:41:41 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have a Linux machine running Debian 3.0 (potato), where
I have installed samba-3.0.0. I want to share a printer
attached to this machine, driven with lprng.

The client machine runs Win XP Home.

I can send print jobs, it works, but there remains
a performance issue (detailed below (*)).

My main problem is I can't access the printer spool
from XP.
>From Explorer, in the network section, I can see
the printer in two places:
- at the same level as directory shares on my server
- under the Printers&Fax section of my server

Is there a difference between the two?

Anyway, when I click on the printer icon, I can see
the printer spool window popup but it disappears
immediately !

(*) The performance issue I mentionned earlier is the
following: when I don't authenticate on the server
(which is OK, I allow guest access), when I click on
the print menu (in Word for instance), and then
click on the printers list, it takes about 30 seconds
before proceeding! The same thing occurs when I click
on the font list in Word. Quite annoying.

If I use the Explorer to authenticate to my samba
server, it then proceeds much faster.
Any idea what's going on?

Here is an excerpt of my smb.conf:

   printing = lprng

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/lpd/samba
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

# Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
# printer drivers
[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers