[Samba] WIN XP Logging on after joining domain

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Oct 22 03:21:19 GMT 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Rich Webb wrote:

Rich,

My purpose is not to criticise, just to respond to the implied question
regarding the comprehensiveness of the documentation.

We all recognize that the quality of our documentation can be improved.
The only way we can improve out documentation is when our users either
contribute updates or provide definitive feedback that helps us to
determine what parts of the documentation need to be extended/updated.

Please see my comments below.

Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf: See Section 10.7.2, 10.8.2, 18.4.1.2

> samba uses the "nobody" account for guest.  Further, I am running this on a
> home built linux from scratch (LFS)box that prior to tonight did not have a
> "nobody" account.  Most all the documentation assumes that the user is
> running some main line distribution of linux (which probably most are) and
> leaves out some details that are important, yet are "default" in a main line
> distro.

I have yet to find any Linux Standards Base compliant Linux system that
does not include the "nobody" account.

> In any case, I really appreciate you helping me out with this one.  I can
> now log in.  The fix was that I created a "nobody" user in my /etc/passwd
> and added it to my samba passdb, however now that I think about it, I
> probably don't need it in the passdb as the error says it is already there.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org