[Samba] Samba 3: is LDAP required?

Derek T. Yarnell derek at cs.umd.edu
Tue Oct 21 19:24:20 GMT 2003

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:00:48PM +0000, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, tvsjr wrote:
>
> >  >Yes or no - is OpenLDAP required to be on the SAMBA 3.0 server in order for
> >  >Active Directory support to work?  Active Directory support == "security =
> >
> > Are you trying to make Samba act as an Active Directory server? If so, then
> > Samba won't do that, you're SOL.
> > If you're trying to make your Samba machine join an Active Directory, no,
> > OpenLDAP is not required. The Active Directory must be running in Mixed or
> > Native mode, not in Native 2003 (2k3 Server only) mode.

Alright, does samba support joining a Samba Win2k3 domain in native 2003
mode? I have asked this before and not gotten a straight answer. The
HOWTO does not cover this specific topic, I get "Decrypt Integrity
Failed" errors for the kerberos tickets from said domain. I see
something about heimdal less than version 0.6 not working with Win2k3
(no mention of native 2k3 or native or whatever).

Am I screwed?