[Samba] WinXP - Samba 3.0.0 performance frustration

Mark Shuttleworth mark at hbd.com
Tue Oct 21 18:31:10 GMT 2003

Hi folks

A few weeks of tinkering have gotten me nowhere, I think I must be
barking up the wrong tree or just plain barking mad.

Moving files between a Windows XP laptop and a Debian Sid (samba
3.0.0-debian) machine over a switched 100MB network is extremely slow,
of the order of 3k per second. I have tried the socket options
recommended and various combinations and permutations of those, have
disabled the WebClient service on the WinXP box and tried a variety of
drivers on the Windows box, to no avail. In other circumstances both
machines seem to perform well.

I have captured a sample session using Ethereal on the Windows machine,
where I was using smbclient from the Linux box to retrieve some files
from the Windows box. The packet data is about 200k so I don't want to
send that to the list, but if anyone out there is into detective stories
and would like to see the trace I would really appreciate pointers to
things I could try, including contracting with mediums and psychics.

Thanks in advance for any brave offers of help.

Mark

--
Try Debian Linux. Software freedom for the bold...
See www.debian.org for more information.