[Samba] Samba 3.0.0 -- ACLs are unusable due to UID/SID mapping weirdness :(

Anton Solovyev solovam at unix.stortek.com
Tue Oct 21 18:23:26 GMT 2003

John,

John H Terpstra wrote:

> You do not need to configure local users on a Samba domain member server,
> winbind is the best tool for such interoperability. Use of winbind will
> ensure unified user and group identities for MS Windows users.

There is fair amount of users that use both Windows and UNIX, so it is
easier for us to have every user account in both environments. This is
also the reason why accounts have to match.

>> There is a set of users common to the NT domain and the UNIX NIS
>> environment. That is the usernames are the same in both. Yes, Samba is a
>> domain member (security = domain), so the passwords for these users are
>> verified against the NT domain.
>>

> My question was: Did you add local users on the Samba server into the
> /etc/passwd database?

Actually most of the users are in NIS. Assuming Samba is using standard
libraries they are undistinguishable from /etc/passwd users.

>> There I am a little unfirm. As far as I know it is an AD domain that
>> still supports NT style authentication.
>>

> If your Win2K domain is Active Directory based then you should configure
> Samba-3 as an ADS member server. See chapter 7.4 of the
> Samba-HOWTO-Collection.

Ok I will try that.

>> I do not want to see on the UNIX side any UIDs that are not listed in
>> /etc/passwd. I do not want to differentiate between NT domain users and
>> matching users in /etc/passwd.
>>

> Why do you need user entries in /etc/passwd? Let NSS do that for you from
> the Windows Active Directory - gives more controlable results.

I am afraid this is not an option. We do not want Samba to dictate the
way the whole environment is architectured. There are number of reasons
why we do not want to do that.

>> 2. If UNIX accounts generally are not related to domain accounts, why do
>> I get "proper" mapping from my NT username to the same UNIX username
>> (unless I want ACLs!) and more importantly to the right user id? I do
>> not have to run winbindd for that!
>>

> Explained above.

Ok, let me give you an example scenario. Please bear with me.

I have a Samba server with the security=domain. I have users "joe"
(uid=1001) and "fred" (uid=1002) in the passwd file on the Samba box.
Just because they log in to it using ssh and run sparc compiler all the
time. No, I can not just put them into AD and use winbindd, there are
tons of reasons for that (example -- I can not convert a thousand
workstations some of which are very ancient to this scheme).

I have also got users "DOMAIN\joe" and "DOMAIN\fred" and they map a
share from that server. When these two create files from the Windows
side they get "fred" (1001) and "joe" (1002) as UNIX owners and
everybody is happy.

Now they want to use ACLs. So the "DOMAIN\joe" does right mouse click
and adds "DOMAIN\fred" into the ACLs of a file he just created.  My
"joe" is smart enough to see, that he can only add "DOMAIN\fred" which
is different from "SAMBA\fred" who supposedly owns the file, but there
is nothing he can do about it, Windows would not let him use
"SAMBA\fred" anyway.

Joe also reasonably believes that, since their Windows domain accounts
have always been properly mapped into their UNIX accounts, the same
machinery would work this time.

Well, at this point winbindd maps "DOMAIN\fred" into UNIX uid 40002 and
adds ACL for 40002 to the file. Then "fred" opens a shell session and
tries to vi the file. What happens? Correct -- "permission denied".

So. Is there a way out of this without switching "joe" and "fred" to
using nss_winbind and NT authentication pam module? In other words, can
I get this to work wihtout converting "fred" and "joe" to using Windows
domain accounts on UNIX machines? And without switching their UNIX UIDs
to 40001 and 40002?

> The Adobe PDF is a little easier to navigate. The book "The Official
> Samba-3 HOWTO and REference Guide" has a useful subject index in the back
> (7 pages!) that makes things much easier to find. It's available from
> Amazon.
>

> I hope this helps you, as well as the next person who wants to sort out
> this type of problem.

Please bear with me, I am not there yet. Thanks very much for your help!

--

Anton Solovyev