[Samba] Why does fstab fail when command line mount works?

kend at xanoptix.com kend at xanoptix.com
Tue Oct 21 13:57:37 GMT 2003

Okay; I'm stumped.  My old boss just asked me a question, and I thought I had
an easy answer, but nooooooooo.  I also apologize if this has been hashed
out, but I'm unable to find the answers after several pages of Google hits.
Anyway, if I try to do this:

mount -t smbfs -o username=kend,password=blah,workgroup=xanoptix
//freedom/kend /mnt/smb/

from the command line, it works fine.  [Sorry for the wrappage.]  However, if
I plug what appears to be the complementary info into fstab, thusly:

//freedom/kend  /mnt/smb smbfs   user=kend,password=blah,domain=xanoptix 0 0

it dies horribly with the following:

# mount -a
16731: session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password
pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
SMB connection failed

Am I missing something really obvious, here?

Thanks,

Ken D'Ambrosio
Sr. SysAdmin,
Xanoptix, Inc.