[Samba] Xp without netbios - few questions with samba 3 - smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root

jean-marc pouchoulon jean-marc.pouchoulon at ac-montpellier.fr
Tue Oct 21 06:57:18 GMT 2003

Thanks for all your answers.

>I am not sure how well this would work in the absence of Active
>Directory and the AD DNS entries.

The registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER/VOLATILE ENVIRONNEMENT store the
LOGONSERVER for a user. With a new user I can't log to the domain.
Tghat's clear now.

> The error message smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root.. Has

> no explain ? Link with netbios ?
>From this it appears you have configured Samba-3 to use ldapsam and
>have not provided the administrative password for
>LDAP in your secrets.tdb file. Use the smbpasswd command with the '-w'
option to set that.

I am sure that the password is store in secrets.tdb.
In fact the "problem" happens every time I search for a group in my xp
client (I found the group):
So no link with netbios.

ldapsam_search_one_group: searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaGroupMapping)(sambaSID=S-1-5-21-1
XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-513))]
[2003/10/14 16:50:03, 0] lib/smbldap.c:smbldap_open(799)
  smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root..

In smbldap.c I found :
#ifndef NO_LDAP_SECURITY
        if (geteuid() != 0) {
                DEBUG(0, ("smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not
root..\n"));
                return  LDAP_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS;
        }
#endif