[Samba] ACL's and permissions

Douglas Phillipson phillipd at oem.doe.gov
Tue Oct 21 05:38:37 GMT 2003

I'm really struggling with ACL's and permissions.  I have a share owned
by a user (douglas).  Douglas can read, write and create to the share:

[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /home/samba/pub
   nt acl support = yes
   public = yes
   admin users = douglas
   write list = douglas

I'm logged in to Win2000 as douglas.  Through the security tab on
Win2000 I add read and write permission to the top level share called
public (but it's not really public) for "terry".  I see terry in the
list and everything seems to go OK in setting it.  Then I log off and
login as terry.  Terry has no write access to the share.    What takes
precedence?  The share definition in smb.conf or settings through the
security tab in windows, which should be the ACL's.   Does adding a user
through the security tab effectively add another user to the "write
list".  If so, it isn't.  What am I doing wrong?

Here are the linux permissions:

ls -ld /home/samba/pub
drwxrwxrwt    3 douglas  douglas        4096 2003-10-20 22:18
/home/samba/pub

Here are the ACL's from linux
getfacl -R --skip-base /home/samba/pub

# file: home/samba/pub
# owner: douglas
# group: douglas
user::rwx
user:terry:rwx
group::r-x
mask::rwx
other::rwx
default:user::rwx
default:user:terry:rwx    <<<<< Shouldn't terry have rwx access
according to this?
default:group::---
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---