[Samba] 3.0.0 install on AIX 4.3.3

Courtney, Rob rob.courtney at honeywell.com
Tue Oct 21 00:18:24 GMT 2003

Please help!

I downloaded samba-3.0.0.0 for AIX from Bullfreeware.com.

It downloaded and installed fine - I followed the instructions
carefully. I revised the /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf files
and created the test/default smb.conf file.

I linked /usr/local/samba back to /usr/local as a tip suggested.

But I can't get the smbd or nmbd daemons or swat to start up!
/usr/local/sbin/smbd -D -s/usr/local/lib/smb.conf
/usr/local/sbin/nmbd -D -s/usr/local/lib/smb.conf
I'm not seeing any errors or logfile entries.

Here is the result when I run testparm:

RMDUX005n# testparm /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
creating lame upcase table
creating lame lowcase table
Conversion from UCS-2LE to CP850 not supported
Conversion from UTF8 to CP850 not supported
Conversion from ASCII to CP850 not supported
Conversion from CP850 to UCS-2LE not supported
Conversion from CP850 to UTF8 not supported
Conversion from CP850 to ASCII not supported
Conversion from CP850 to UTF8 not supported
Conversion from UTF8 to CP850 not supported
creating default valid table
Processing section "[test]"
Conversion from UCS-2LE to CP850 not supported
Conversion from UTF8 to CP850 not supported
Conversion from ASCII to CP850 not supported
Conversion from CP850 to UCS-2LE not supported
Conversion from CP850 to UTF8 not supported
Conversion from CP850 to ASCII not supported
Conversion from CP850 to UTF8 not supported
Conversion from UTF8 to CP850 not supported
Failed to load /ii/pa/samba-3.0.0.0/usr/local/lib/valid.dat - A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
creating default valid table
Loaded services file OK.
ERROR: lock directory /ii/pa/samba-3.0.0.0/usr/local/var/locks does not exist
ERROR: pid directory /ii/pa/samba-3.0.0.0/usr/local/var/locks does not exist
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = AERO65-NAMERICA