[Samba] Xp without netbios - few questions with samba 3 - smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Oct 20 16:49:10 GMT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, jean-marc pouchoulon wrote:

> Bonsoir John
>

> > Refer to the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf - chapter 10.3.2, see also
> chapter 6.2.5.2.
> >On review of the information I refer you to above, it is clear that we
> need to provide more information. I guess that >>>means there is more
> writing to be done. :(
>
> 	I Read them carefully ( and cris hertel book implementing cifs
> too), but maybe I misunderstood or you misunderstood my basic english.
>
> New formula for my question :
>
> I have no windows 2000 dns , how the xp client found the domain if it
> has no netbios layer? using wins ? I think wins was working on port tcp
> 137 and was linked with netbios. No netbios no wins no ? No wins no DC ?

WINS is an atifact of NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

In the absence of NetBIOS over TCP/IP the Windows 200x/XP client can use
only DNS to lookup names (ie: to find servers as well as essential
services that they provide). That is why the DNS server you use must
include all the special entries that are shown in chapter 10.3.2. Of
course, only those that are applicable should be added to the DNS
database.

ie: To find a DC the Windows 200x/XP client will need to resolve the
following records:

ldap._tcp.pdc.ms-dcs.Domain
ldap._tcp.writable.ms-dcs.Domain
ldap._tcp.GUID.domains.ms-dcs.DomainTree

I am not sure how well this would work in the absence of Active Directory
and the AD DNS entries.

In any case, for server configurations without NetBIOS over TCP/IP
understand that the name resolution mechanism relies on DNS.

> The error message smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root.. Has
> no explain ? Link with netbios ?

>From this it appears you have configured Samba-3 to use ldapsam and have
not provided the administrative password for LDAP in your secrets.tdb
file. Use the smbpasswd command with the '-w' option to set that.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org