[Samba] Stuck on Problem with Joining Domains...please help!

Örn Hansen orn.hansen at swipnet.se
Sun Oct 19 14:41:00 GMT 2003

  I've been fighting the same problem myself, and others too, alas with ldap
backend.  Here's what I've come by, so far, and might be useful to you.

  1.  You need to provide "admin users" in the global section, and make sure
the user there exists in smbpaswd.  This is the user, you type in when adding
the machine to the domain.  You can't use "root" as with 2.x.

  2.  The script you are using, to add machines ... you need to make sure that
it creates the trailing dollar sign to the name.  I don't think samba
provides the "username$" for the machine at that point, and you need to
provide it by issuing "%u$", but check this to be sure.