[Samba] upgraded from Samba 2.2.8a to Samba 3.0.0 now mount smbf does not work?

Peter Atkin peter at computer-facilities.com
Sun Oct 19 08:40:03 GMT 2003

I have upgraded from a almost perfectly working Samba 2.2.8a to Samba 3.0.0, I wished to join my NAS servers to the
domain and it seemed something to do with DNS authentication was stopping them from joining, so I upgraded to Samba 3
(not beta)

I have searched the web for reasons for this stange behavior but could find no explaination or fix, there are however
other people having the same problem.

I have two questions:

1) my smbfs commands in /etc/rc.local now hangs the consol when I reboot, needles to say this did work before....
sometimes one or two or my smbfs commands will work without reason, I had to comment out the smbfs commands so I could
test the reason for this behavior.

There are no errors in the /log/var/messages log that seem to suggest an error of any kind.

-----start
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local

# mount -t smbfs -o username=xxxxx,password=xxxxx //cores/users /mnt/nas/users
# mount -t smbfs -o username=xxxxx,password=xxxxx //cores/backup /mnt/nas/backup
# mount -t smbfs -o username=xxxxx,password=xxxxx //cores/logon /mnt/nas/logon
# mount -t smbfs -o username=xxxxx,password=xxxxx //cores/source /mnt/nas/source
# mount -t smbfs -o username=xxxxx,password=xxxxx //cores/quickbooks /mnt/nas/quickbooks

/root/firewall.sh
end-----

Does anyone know why this is happening and what to do about it

2) I wish to start using NFS mounts much the same way I was using smbfs mounts.

mount -t nfs 10.0.0.99:/backup /mnt/nas/backup

My problem is I seem not to be able to mount a NFS with a username and password, how can I mount a remote volume with a
specific username and password.

Thanks for any help anyone can give
..