[Samba] Windows XP --> Samba = A-ok! Samba --> Windows XP = Excruciatingly SLOW

Mandrich monkey_tamer at ameritech.net
Sat Oct 18 21:35:21 GMT 2003

Hi All,

I've installed and configured Samba 2.2.8a on my FreeBSD 4.8 RELEASE box
and ALMOST everything seems to be working fine. My only real issue is
that copying files from my BSD box to my WinXP box on my switched 100TX
network averages about 1 MB per minute in transfer speeds. I've done
some comparisons by copying similar sized files from other Windows
machines to my workstation and by copying the original slow files from
the BSD box via WinSCP3. Either scenario gives me transfer speeds of
about 500K per second. So at this point it seems to be how Samba and XP
are interacting and not a network or hardware issue.

I've shut off the WebClient as recommended here:

http://samba.netfirms.com/faq.htm

and checked the Samba logs only to find them empty. I've found a number
of other folks via Google who've had the same issue, but have yet to
find a resolution. Below is my smbd.conf file. It's a simple and wide
open setup for testing as I go through "Using Samba 2nd Ed.". Any
suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated...

serioussam# cat smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2)
# Date: 2003/10/17 18:50:48