[Samba] shared files not locked -> samba culprit or clients?

Tom Lazar tom at tomster.org
Sat Oct 18 16:51:23 GMT 2003

On 17.10.2003, at 21:17, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> No, I can't reproduce this with 2 W2K boxes and Office 2000 SR1.

hi again,

i've done some more testing and have been able to nail down, when it
happens:

user a opens file test.xls, modifies it, but doesn't save it yet.
user b opens it, closes it
user a can't save any changes anymore! excel times out, renames the
file to an arbitrary name and will not permit any further save attempts
of the file.

i have repeated this five times and it happened every time.

i have created a fresh log-directory for samba, turned the log-level up
to 10, restarted samba and then repeated the above steps. i've taken
the liberty to upload a .tgz of both clients log files, the smbd.log,
as well as my smb.conf to the following URL:

http://tomster.org/geek/samba-debug-logs.tgz

in the logs user a is machine burroughs with IP 192.168.0.23 and b is
goedel with IP 192.168.0.177

> What are the permissions/ownership on the xls file on your share ?

the permissions for the file in question are:

root at knox# ll /home/shared/SambaTest/
total 34
-rwxrw-r--  1 tomster  house     82 Oct 18 18:26 ._FA7E5000
-rwxrw-r--  1 tomster  house     82 Oct 17 20:36 ._test.xls
-rwxrw-r--  1 tomster  house     82 Oct 18 18:19 ._test2.xls
-rwxrw-r--  1 tomster  house     82 Oct 18 18:21 ._test3.xls
-rwxrw-r--  1 tomster  house     82 Oct 18 18:24 ._test4.xls
-rwxrw-r--  1 tomster  house  24064 Oct 18 18:50 FA7E5000

(this is after excels renaming-funk...)

clients are both mac osx (build 7B85 aka Panther Golden Master), using
the latest version of Office v. X (10.1.5) the server is running
freebsd 5.1p10 with samba 3.0.0 and your patch applied.

the behaviour has been the same with 10.2.8 clients (to which i haven't
got acces right now)

currently I'm also not able to provide any testing with a Windows
Client, but i can do that tomorrow or on monday.

thank you for any feedback. I'm sort of getting desparate here... :-(
there's twelve people who will have a busy day on monday and will be
opening, closing and saving A LOT of excel files...

kind regards from berlin,

tom

--
tom lazar <tom at tomster.org>