[Samba] cannot locate roaming profile

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Oct 17 21:27:59 GMT 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Daniel Kasak wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've just installed samba-3.0.1-rc1 as a PDC and I can add computers (
> win2k ) to the domain, but when users log on, they get an error:
>
> ... windows cannot locate your roaming profile ...
>
> or words to that effect.
>
> My smb.conf is:
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = NUS
>         server string = Samba Server %v
>         bind interfaces only = true
>         interfaces = 192.168.0.10/24
>         passdb backend = tdbsam
>         pam password change = Yes
>         unix password sync = Yes
>         log level = 3
>         log file = /var/log/samba3/log.%m
>         max log size = 50
>         name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>         printcap name = cups
>         add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false '%u'
>         delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel '%s'
>         add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g && getent group
> '%g'|awk -F: '{print $3}'
>         delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
>         add user to group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -a '%u' '%g'
>         delete user from group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -d '%u' '%g'
>         set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g '%g' '%u'
>         domain logons = Yes
>         os level = 33
>         preferred master = Yes
>         domain master = Yes
>         wins support = Yes
>         printer admin = @adm
>         printing = cups
>         preserve case = No

To disable roaming profile usage add:
	logon drive =
	logon home =

ie: leave the field after the '=' blank.

PS: Also make sure that the user in pdbedit -Lv 'username' does not
specify a profile path.

> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         read only = No
>         browseable = No
>
> [netlogon]
>         comment = Network Logon Service
>         path = /usr/local/smb_shares/netlogon
>         guest ok = Yes
>
> I've read the docs that state that it is not recommended to use roaming
> profiles, and I agree. How do I stop windows from trying to locate one?

Oh? What documentation says that you should not use roaming profiles? I'd
like to know where we slipped up!

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra