[Samba] how to call an executable script each time a file is created or modified

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Oct 17 21:10:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, dave giffin wrote:

> is it possible to have a samba daemon call an
> executable script each time a file within one of it
> shares is modified or a new file is created?

Yes. You will need to write a VFS module to do that.
Suggest you start with Samba-3.0.1pre CVS code. Look in the directory:

~samba/sources/modules

There are a few sample modules in that directory that will give you the
idea.

> I'm looking to develop a file catalogging system for
> my file server which depends on my software being
> notified each time a file is modified or a new file
> created.

You will need to craft your own module. Please do contribute your solution
to add to the choices already there.

- John T.